Thursday, 3 March 2011

Reports From The Pantheist Front


Since I'm in the office any time between 5 and 5:30 in the morning, I tend to take a lunch break at about 11.

I wander downstairs for a change of scenery and have a smoke next to the wastebin beneath a poor, tortured, caged Pin Oak.

(No, I don't have a problem smoking a cigarette near the tree. It's only humans it seems who have dramatic hissy fits at the smell of tobacco)

When I've finished smoking I pick up the litter of dogends, plastic earbuds, chewing gum and crisp wrappers which are strewn on the earth beneath the tree. Yes, just half a metre from a wastebin, people still prefer to throw their refuse on the ground.So, I pick it up for them.

This morning as I walked toward the Pin Oak, I opened my bag to get my cigarettes, and a swirl of wind blew a perfectly Autumn-toasted Pin Oak leaf into my handbag. Just one airborne leaf, in the air, into my small shoulder bag. Thank you.

I have it on my computer monitor now.