Sunday 3 February 2008

Lughnasadh


I am a stag of seven tines,
I am a wide flood on a plain,
I am a wind on the deep waters,
I am a shining tear of the sun,
I am a hawk on a cliff,
I am fair among flowers,
I am a god who sets the head afire with smoke.
I am a battle waging spear,
I am a salmon in the pool,
I am a hill of poetry,
I am a ruthless boar,
I am a threatening noise of the sea,
I am a wave of the sea,
Who but I knows the secrets of the unhewn dolmen ?


Pic: On the eve of Lughnasadh, Charybdys and Chippy lie at point guard against the oncoming storm.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, what beautiful dogs!

    Blessings for Lughnasadh, Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many blessings for this special time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what Lugnasadh is. And likely no reason to celebrate it if I did.

    Let me know when our birthday comes around and I'll celebrate it.

    I wasn't aware of Derrick Jensen, thanks for mentioning him. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe we're watching the downfall of civilisation as we know it, and not a damn minute too soon.

    I'll be sitting on the side of the mountain in the spiritual park drinking a beer and saying, "I told you so."

    And after things settle down we will start over again. Hopefully in wiser ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black on purple is very difficult to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn right, Steve - is that better?
    I admit to a childish love for being mysterious . :)

    Billy, Lughnasadh is a pre-Christian festival held at the start of August in the northern hemisphere, hence February in this one.
    It celebrates the start of the harvest, and the mythology many of us use is that of Lugh Lamadach or Llew Law Gyffes, of Ireland and Wales respectively- 'heroes' from the start of the agricultural cycle in history.Possibly.

    John Barleycorn is another great image which I use extensively.

    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete