Thursday 31 January 2008

Who're You Talking To?



A co-pilot on a flight from Toronto to London has about had it with his noncommunicative deity of choice.


"He was very, very distraught. He was yelling loudly at times,"...He was swearing and asking for God and very distressed. He basically said he wanted to talk to God."


As Feorag notes (and a pointy hat tip to her),
it's a good job the co-pilot wasn't of the browner skin persuasion. Just think how that would've gone down.

As it is, we have here a graphic example of what happens when folks fully expect their deity to be available on demand twentyfourseven without any effort from the petitioner.

It's typical of the faith many of us were brought up, if not in, then at least solidly surrounded by - replete with the notion that Jesus answers little childrens' prayers, that God hears you when you call.

Note that you don't have to actually do anything short of getting into a spot of trouble and lo! the Deity hears you and replies.

Just like that.

Seriously, dude. You want to talk to God?
Sit down, shut up and listen .
Oh, and you might want to do the work first

6 comments:

  1. Aquila,

    You are so right. I think there is a text in the New Testament where Jesus chides people for babbling like the pagans when few words are necessary. Yet it seems like Christians often want to overload their god with word upon word upon word.

    Much better to silence the mind and the heart and listen. And dance brings me closer to goddess than words will ever do.

    Imbolc celebrations comingin the Northern world :)

    Love

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Imbolc Paul!

    Of course, we're celebrating Lughnasadh down here, but I'm being difficult as usual and waiting until 4th February at the midpoint between Solstice and Equinox.I have a mind which likes symmetry :)

    You know, I had the thought on the way home last night that that guy throwing a tantrum about speaking to God is a bit like me having a fit about wanting to speak to my neocortex.

    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. saying he wanted to talk "to God".

    I talk to myself all the time, and sometimes to Goddess. I certainly don't expect any help from organized religions gods that think he is omnipotent.

    If he actually exists, and I don't think so, he is one twisted son of a bitch.

    But a Goddess is treating me to breakfast in town in a bit, maybe I'll have a chicken fried steak, or an Omelet.

    I'm not celebrating any religion over here, just doing my own thing.

    Boy, comment spell check sure isn't as good as the MS Word spell check.

    Have a great day hon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a pagan why would I celebrate some religion?

    Pagan : A person who does not acknowledge your god.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Billy,

    What's chicken-fried steak?

    As a Pagan I celebrate the seasons of the earth.
    As a Witch, I help to turn the Wheel - that is, I'm instrumental in keeping the cyclical nature of time on Earth in the concsiouness of mankind.

    As God, I just love being at play with all sentient beings.
    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I'll be lighting a roaring bonfire in honour of Lugh and his mother this Monday"

    So you are not concerned about the pollution of your planet? I just make little fires when I have them.

    I'm not sure what a chicken fried steak is, that is just what they call them. I think that they are some kind of pork that is beat to hell to make tender, or maybe some kind of pork hamburger.

    I just know that they taste good and are tender, and usually come with a pork sausage gravy over them.

    I don't get one very often, but I do like them.

    Wait, I just looked them up on Wiki.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_fried_steak

    ReplyDelete