Tuesday 5 June 2007

Ataraxia

Well, it's been an emotionally turbulent day on the blogosphere.

First, I get to read the grotesque events behind Joss Whedon's post Let’s Watch a Girl Get Beaten to Death on the subject of 'honour killings' in general, and a particularly bloody recent one which was captured by the perpetrators on their cellphones in..err...particular.

Gosh I sometimes wish to turn my backs on the male of the species- except that

1)I know too many of them who are fine, wonderful people

and

2)They Are Me, anyway.

OK, moving right along I go visit my physics-studying pal Oaksong at his Journal.

Where I'm invited to a slideshow of What the World Eats.

Turns out that the 10% or so of the world which can afford it stocks up on fizzy drinks, prepackaged meat and transfats until it's flowing out of their ears, while the vast majority lives on bugger-all.

Since I'm one of the FatCats and I live in Africa, I can say with absolutely no pride at all that 10% of the population seems to be eating the other 90%.

Thoroughly disgusted with Ourselves, now, I happen to read something that Feri Princess T. Thorn Coyle has written in the comments section of someone's blog:

Don't forget beauty. Don't forget beauty. Don't forget beauty.

Damn right, Sister. If I can find any of it that is.

The final piece in this jigsaw was contributed by Dianne Sylvan,writing on Ecstasy,Practice and Breakdown


Ecstasy includes all those Peak Experiences that walk hand in hand with our religious lives. Moments of mystical unity with the Source, however they come, are bound to change us, and that’s why we have them—to remind us why we’re here, what we’re working toward, and why it all matters.

Yup.Ok, I get it.

Wandering outside to the balcony for a smoke, I watch the sun go down on this day pretty close to the MidWinter Point, and I think of my own last three Peak Experiences.

In 2001 my Dad died-suddenly and without any warning to me.
I hadn't seen him for over 18 months and had no idea he was even ill.
I was so unaware of his condition that I was apprised of his death by the classified section of the newspaper.

Yet, two or three days before I saw that notice, I had had the most extraordinary vision of my Dad-out of the blue, a portrait of him as a young man, perhaps 25, head and shoulders only.At the time I thought it was bizarre.But that was the moment he died.

That scared it out of me so much that I ran away and became an Atheist for a few years.



Ten days before I came down, for the first time ever, with bronchitis, I had a vivid dream of a plant with a flower.

In the dream, the plant told me its name.

It was Coltsfoot. Sovereign remedy against bronchial congestion. I'd never bloody heard of the thing before.

I keep a supply in my cupboard at all times, now.



...and then you all know the recent story of my crow encounter.That relationship is deepening by the day.

The point is..the point is...hel I'm not sure what the bloody point is anymore.

Only that I keep feeling fairly certain I know why we keep coming back here.

It's so damn beautiful, all of it.

11 comments:

  1. They Are Me, anyway.

    Amazing

    You get it, you frigging get it !!!

    I've never told anyone my dream that resulted in my moving here and starting me on my journey. Maybe someday. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe someday I'd like to hear it, BBC-the dream that is.

    I only get it in bits and pieces though-a condition I suspect is pretty common.

    Most of the day I just amble along as if I had never realised that we are god.

    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ecstasy includes all those Peak Experiences that walk hand in hand with our religious lives.

    I don't look at it that way, I look at it as my spiritual life and views.

    Most of the day I just amble along as if I had never realised that we are god.

    We haven't evolved enough yet to be able to do other than what we are doing. We live with monkeys, so we act like monkeys. We blend in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only that I keep feeling fairly certain I know why we keep coming back here.

    May I help you with this?

    You are the all, so you are always here. Are you confused about your omnipresence?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me expand on that last comment. Because this is our physical world. Where we can feel each other when we touch each other.

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya BBC, I'm always here, however I'm not always in a physical form- a human being living on the Earth.

    I feel a call to the beauty of being incarnate, and I have an intuition that I feel this when I'm not incarnate, and that this is what pulls me back into a body, perhaps time after time.
    I think we're talking the same thing, but using different words and syntax.
    Pesky thing, language.

    Love,
    Terri in a Freezing Joburg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya BBC, I'm always here, however I'm not always in a physical form- a human being living on the Earth.

    I believe you are always here as a human, only that you don't realize it. The human brain is too feeble to recognize all that. Especially considering what we are taught here.

    In fact you can be both places at once, here and there. Protons are like that, can be two places at once.

    Only invisible to us from here, other than in our thoughts.

    Have a great day, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In fact you can be both places at once, here and there. Protons are like that, can be two places at once.

    Yes, exactly.
    In fact, the exact location of any given subatomic particle is a matter of probabilities and therefore of someone's opinion, anyway.

    I'm actually agnostic as to what we do after death-I have some ideas, but none I'd call a knowledge.

    It's very likely that I'm influenced by the dominant culture-my fellow gods and goddesses-as to what we do after we breathe our last.
    But multilocation (I wanted to say bilocation but that's not quite right)? It's a distinct possibility, given how our constituent particles behave.

    I've been seen at more than one place at a time, by the way-by people who knew me very very well all their lives.It was odd.

    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is exactly the way I feel.
    Unfortunately, it often gets shortened to 'I don't like people'.


    Yes, that seems to be the easy way out. But damn it, we are people as well as spiritual beings. And I really like people.

    I don't often like how people are, but damn it, I love them. And I won't allow anyone to take that away from me.

    It's a strange journey isn't it hon? Take care, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW.... Death isn't a concept to me.

    ReplyDelete