Tuesday 29 May 2007

Standing on the Edge



Here's a small selection of what people have been up to in my country in the last couple of days:
A gunman opens fire on a taxi rank,
A mother dumps her baby down a toilet,
A schoolboy stabs another to death with scissors,
A fifteen year old girl is raped and murdered and
An armed gang guns down patrons at a restaurant.

These days, I'm increasingly bewildered as to what to make of us.

Here we are, standing on the edge, growing noticeably more insane with every passing day.

I'm a programmer by profession and a data analyst by inclination, and I'm looking at all this and wondering what on earth to make of it. I would love to be able to take this data, pass it through my organic computer and come up with some answers to the 'why?' and 'where to now?' type of questions which flood my consciousness.

What are we becoming?

When I disengage my overly-analytical brain I can sense the shape of the answers, but I cannot put them into words. I cannot express this feeling that we're in a truly liminal state, about to step over the cliff, about to become something other entirely.

Whether this will be good or bad I cannot express, either-just that the change is coming, is here, almost, and that we are particularly privileged to be alive now to witness it.

The bees are dying, people, the polar caps are melting.

The oil is running out, mense, and the atmosphere is being poisoned.

The animals are disappearing, my kin,and the soil has been impoverished.

The Mother will not take much more of us, brothers and sisters, and we carry right on lusting after that new Hummer, striving for the million rand prison cell in the complex in the suburbs, vying for the latest crippling mobile phone to wave in the air so we can withdraw into our own cyber bubbles, there to waste our minds and cripple our brains, talking to a tiny piece of metal and plastic as we ignore the here and now all around us.

I really don't know what's coming, and I know I'm God.

Art found here.

6 comments:

  1. Well hon, it's going to get even more ugly so just try to stay out of the thick of it the best you can, and don't let it drive you more nuts.

    I just don't look at much news some days, so that it doesn't get to me too much. Why let it when I know that it is just going to get worse anyway.

    But the thing is, after all the ugly part, it will be better. And being omnipresent beings of the living spirit we will still be here to enjoy it.

    But you will have to be patient for a few hundred more years I suspect.

    Hang in there hon, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you.

    This weekend, as i was meditating upon the world, it came to me that, in the "old days", midwives didn't only attend births. They attended deaths, as well. And, just as one is a passage into a different state (liminal!), so is the other. And, as midwives of the world, we witches don't necessarily get to select upon which passage we will attend. We show up, we embody compassion, and we attend to whatever is going on. If Mamma Earth needs a midwife to attend her death, then I am a midwife to death, a manifestation of the Goddess, here to attend (to pay attention to) whichever passage (liminal!) she needs to pass through. We are here, in this time, in this time when the bees die, the oceans die, the glaciers die. This is the work that we are called to do. We can no more refuse it or turn our backs upon it than our great-great-many-times-great grandmothers could turn their back upon the planet newly aborning.

    A witch's job is to turn the wheel. And round and round the wheel doth turn. Here. Lend your shoulder to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure you don't live in America?

    If you do, come on over Thursday night for a blue moon circle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right. I also find it interesting that while we pagans feel something is almost here, many Judeo-Christians feel the end times are almost here. Are we all waiting for 2012 or some sign?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aquila, I found my way to your place through Hecate's writing -- and both of you often echo pieces of what's passing through my thoughts. I, too, despair when the violence and death wish of the human species seems to overwhelm, when it seems that we're collectively going psychotic.

    And then, Something happens -- usually its that I *do* something; it may be something old, or something new, but something happens that lets me see the other side of the coin, that gives me a taste from the other side of the chalice.

    Tonight I went with my drumming class to a women's shelter where my drumming teacher also has a class, it just seemed like a nice thing to combine them. So...what do you get with a roomful of women (and a couple of men), drums, a couple of dancers, a balaphon, and some good food? You get joy, you get energy, you get laughter, and maybe you get a world that heals just a little.

    As Hecate said...we turn the wheel.

    And I think it was Wavy Gravy who said "Put your good where it will do the most."

    May you be Blessed.
    don

    ReplyDelete
  6. BBC-too late, I'm already nuts! I'm more inclined these days to identify with the rest of humanity than I ever was before, so denying my part in our collective insanity is not working.

    Hecate-thank you so much for those words,they have meant a lot to me over the past couple of days.And yes you're absolutely right, this is our job.

    Hey Anne-in some ways , South Africa is a more violent place than America.We have this huge ugly slab of a past that gets blamed for it, but I don't think that's the whole picture.

    Livia-I've read somewhere that we've cooked up this combination of extreme technology and extreme bio-degradation as a 'trigger' to ourselves, that we'll start to evolev to the next stage through the pressure.I dunno.I'm just God here, like the rest of you.

    Don-I'm trying!

    Love to all of you,
    Terri in Joburg

    ReplyDelete