Tuesday 5 February 2013

An Object Revolts



I don't watch a lot of films or very much television, and when the Aileen Wuornos show was hitting the media road I think I was mostly hanging on by my fingernails myself and so didn't notice it.
I was therefore both fascinated and horrified when I caught bits of Nick Broomfield's documentary on the confessed multiple killer the other day.

The thing which struck me forcefully was the utter hysteria surrounding this woman. A prostitute had killed some of her johns; you'd have thought, by the shrill calls for her death which resounded almost immediately the facts started to come to light, that mankind's bloody mobile phones had started rebelling. I mean, how dare she? A prostitute is there for the sole purpose of servicing (mostly) male people. When one of these comfort objects starts killing its users...well.Kill it. Kill it dead.

Being very poorly informed on everything about this case, I started with the Wikipedia article on Aileen.
Even from this poorly-regarded source I received an unmistakable chill of recognition. Maybe you could call it empathy. But I could imagine, quite easily, being in her shoes.

There's no question that little-girl Aileen was abused. I was not. But many things about her struck a chord in me, at some level. The full flight from consciousness. The dissolution of conscience. The half-self-articulated justifications. The anger - that anger found in many women in the Patriarchy, myself included. And at the end, that one over riding desire to just have done with it all.

My anger, although still present, still a part of me, is coming slowly into integration with the rest of who I am. Hers never had a chance.

2 comments:

  1. I claim sacred ground.

    This was written by a survivor, i feel the need to share it here, in the hopes of purging some demons ... somewhere.

    Long corridor

    Along the long corridor
    Of her grandmothers house
    A girl walked into a trap
    Groping hands of n uncles love
    For the innocents of child's trust

    And all that was remembered
    Of that god awful day
    Was n wet bloody towel
    And mia the bee on the old tv
    and the curse of having huge breasts

    For was it not his soothing voice
    Of the bestowed favor upon her
    Would one then recommend
    That all flat chest woman should rather have been molested as a child?

    peace and love

    ReplyDelete