Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Cotton Ceiling


At the  risk of sounding like a transphobic bigot myself, I have to say that I'm starting to think that Z Budapest has something when she says that real women are born, not made on the operating table.
And yes, I know that that is a highly charged thing to say.

But look here at the completely patriarchal, entitled attitude of a male-to-female transwoman who seems to be claiming that the presence of a penis does not make her body a male one.

From one point of view, I have every sympathy with her. But that certainly doesn't mean that women who, perhaps understandably, don't want to have sex with her are cissexual or queer bigots. It means that for some women, the male body is not only undesirable sexually, but also can be perceived as threatening, in that inimical way of the patriarchy for the last 6000 years or so.

Let's be clear here: the penis is not a female organ, even if the brain with which it is associated is experienced as female. And there are people who just do not need or want that male organ anywhere near them, intimately. These people should not be accused of bigotry or transphobia. I'm afraid that the attitude of the "redacted trans" in the blog I've pointed to is nothing short of male entitlement.

For myself, no, I'm not particularly threatened by penises or the lack of them. But it does take being  a woman in this world, at this time, to fully plumb the depths of the horror the patriarchy has visited upon us. or rather, that we have visited upon ourselves. Penis/no penis - we're all God, and we are all that we have. Let us Love, rather than threaten, each other.