Tuesday 5 October 2010

Insanity


Taking my nine am tea break, stirring the teabag around and around in the hot water, I looked out of the third-floor window upon a scene ghastly in its reminiscence of Machine Hell.
Down the long flagged avenue, shops on each side, is a row of trees encased in concrete. These pitiable indigenous trees have their lower branches hacked off to a height of about 3 metres, their roots cramped into stone and cement containers. To give, I would suppose, the avenue that special boulevard feel. At the far end, the latest prisoner was being introduced to its new home. A huge steel crane arm had the hapless thing clasped in a death grip - yet the tree managed to twist and shudder even as it was manhandled to a point above its new cell. The obligatory white male in safari shirt, shorts and socks was overseeing a small gang of black men digging the captive's hole a little deeper.
I nearly wept into my still unmilked tea.

Another picture rose in my mind, then - the runway of a haute couture fashion house, the models showing the clothing all bones and angles, not an ounce of healthy flesh upon their limbs, their emaciated faces gaunt and machine-lifeless.

It was in such a setting of the mind, then, that I read of Theodore Kaczynski's upcoming book. And resolved to buy it. And wondered at that phrase" strangely coherent text" that the professor uses to describe Kaczynski's work. The man is a certified genius, after all - why wouldn't his words flow coherently? Unless, of course, that 'strangely' is aimed at the fact that society has decided that the Unabomber is insane - and insane men do not, as a rule, write coherent text. Isn't that so, society?

3 comments:

  1. I've been in the psych ward a couple times -- the "insane" are actually pretty sane most of the time and typically very nice people, really. Their lives have just been made impossible to deal with for a while and the brain reacts accordingly.

    Society, otoh, usually seems pretty damn crazy to me. Why people put up with it is the real question...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's part of my point Donna. I've also been there - as part of my Shamanic Dismemberment - and I agree with you about those society calls insane.
    Love,
    Terri in Joburg

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm also inclined to read Theodore's uber-sanity.

    The abuse of trees in urban spaces is agonising to watch. Down here they torture 'ornamental' olives and cycads in unwatered sterile too-small planters too...

    ReplyDelete