Monday 13 October 2008

The Ballad of Nehallennia


When I bought this bike, the only thing she needed was a new rear tyre, as the old one was dangerously worn, in my opinion.

Tyres aren’t particularly cheap, and being reluctant to put anything on credit, I waited for the end of the following month to get a new one – only to find that this particular size is manufactured by a) the Chinese or b) Bridgestone, both of whom I have ethical problems with buying from.

After quite a bit of comparison shopping and asking questions, I found that the only tyres I could use were in fact Bridgestones, unless I wanted to put my life as well as my ethical principles under threat by opting for Chinese. So, WeSellDefectiveTyresToAfrica it was.

New tyre fitted (and clutch cabling repaired), I took her for a spin – and the wiring caught fire.
Complete rewiring and new ignition harness later, I took her for a spin again – and the master link snapped, ending up in the sprocket casing, while the chain ended up on the tarmac.

By now I was fairly cross with Nehallenia and decided a fresh, tougher approach was called for – after all, it was entirely possible that she was balking at having a female boss for the first time. So I changed the tone of my communication with her to closer to the tone I use when reminding the dogs who exactly the boss is.

No more problems. She runs well and sounds healthy. I’ll be starting to commute on her come next week.

Pic: How she ought to look, but, given a black spray job and a couple of pentacle transfers, probably won’t.

3 comments:

  1. Before you presume to be this bike's MASTER as opposed to "rider", I would consider wearing leather from head to toe, because this thing is very likely to introduce you a few times to the joys of road rash if you don't treat her with respect. Remember, a bike is nothing more than a horse with an iron heart, and commands the same love of the Goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point Michael.

    I started with exactly that intention - of becoming better acquainted with her as I would with anything else with a soul.
    I guess I'm just feeling pissed off at the moment - likely due to the flurry of last-day-of Mercury-retrograde incidents.

    Love,
    Terri in Joburg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before you presume to be this bike's MASTER as opposed to "rider", I would consider wearing leather from head to toe
    A sign board is a flat surface that displays information to a targeted audience. Sign boards can be made of various materials such as wood, metal, plastic, or vinyl, and can feature a range of designs, colors, and graphics.Sign Boards Chennai are commonly used by businesses and organizations to promote their brand, products, or services, and can be installed both indoors and outdoors.

    ReplyDelete