Thursday 11 October 2007

Africa


What Mary L A said

Africa punches the shit out of us. That is why I live here. It keeps me Third World, it keeps me human. Fighting to stay alive and help others stay alive.



Driving through the pouring rain back from my personal doctor, who had syringed my ears so that I could hear again. Grumbling at the traffic in mile-long streams while I, warm and cosy inside my black wool witch's shawl, scowl at the pedestrians trudging through the mud and streams of water on the roadside.

Worrying about the fact that I left my dogs outside in the garden. Going to the bright, sleek hypermarket for soup greens and oats and picking up some rolls on an impulse. My Gods- I am super rich in Africa.

The squatter camp we pass represents the upper crust of the poor- shacks constructed from scrap wood and corrugated iron, letting all the rain in.
And I, complaining, while a car guard leaps out at me and holds an umbrella over my head, in case I melt in the rain.

The smiles from underneath the thrown away plastic wrapping of some rich person's (like me!) toys serve to keep the rain off the head of those without car, without solid house, without employment which they enjoy every minute of.

Africa challenges us, all right.
I wouldn't live anywhere else on this Earth.

3 comments:

  1. "I wouldn't live anywhere else on this Earth."

    And I couldn't live where you do because seeing that would eat at my soul so much.

    Do you stop and give them food? Maybe money for materials for better shelter?

    How do you feel about all of this?

    It is said that to fix the world that you have to fix yourself. But are they not a part of you? Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Billy,

    No, I don't hand out money to the poor.
    There are several reasons why this is a bad idea-not the least of which is the dependancy it produces, which we've had far too much of in Africa, thank you.

    A person can be a catalyst for change in a society just by choosiing to stay, rather than fleeing to Australia, as so many of my highly-skilled white compatriots have.

    There are many ways to help to save the world- the first order of business is changing its consciousness.
    It does eat your soul. This is, in some ways, good for us.
    Are you back from retreat now?
    Love,
    Terri in Joburg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe in just giving to the poor that are just freeloading. But I do believe in helping those eat that have no work but are willing to work if the work was there.

    Yes, I'm back from retreat, posted about it some. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete