Tuesday 20 February 2007

Boiler Room



We're officially in a heatwave in Gauteng now.

The South African Weather Service says so, therefore I must believe it.

Simon Gear is the Face of the Weather in SA media.He was approached to say a Few Words on the official verdict this morning.


“In January there were a couple of really hot days and it was generally accepted that that was a heat wave,” Gear said.

“But scientifically, you are looking for a situation where the maximum temperature is 5°C warmer than the average maximum temperature for the warmest month of the year in that area. And it must continue for a period of three days.

“So if we look at Joburg, the warmest month is January. The hot weather we are having now is 5°C hotter than that the average maximum, and we are already into our second day, looking at another hot day tomorrow,” he added.



Well, I don't know.

I do know that my four Pitbulls are doing nothing more strenuous than lying in the path of the big indoor fan, and my partner, who as a former miner is used to the heat, is actually complaining.

Prize for quote of the day must go to the ER spokesman though



Anyone with an altered level of consciousness should not be left alone,” Vermaak said.


I've been having a ball with that one all day.

3 comments:

  1. I've found that those of us with an altered view of consciousness should be left alone regularly, but then, I'm not in the ER. It remains beautiful here in San Francisco, a little too beautiful just as it is too hot there. The internet is really helpful in getting quick and direct verification that climate change is affecting us all. You are hot, my friends on the east coast of USA are freezing..and it's sublime here. May it cool off soon in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my altered level of consciousness by being left alone. And I love it. Sorry to hear about your hot summer. Join us next Friday to work magick against global climate change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne,
    Yes I'm in.
    Godsawful time of the morning but we've a lunar eclipse the same night-so I'll be up and about in any case
    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete