Sunday 24 June 2012

Carrying Medusa's Head


As Perseus, one of the tasks we are supposed to accomplish in our lives is the slaying of the Gorgon Medusa. Holding the mirror-shield high, walking backwards, we advance in retrospect to lay waste to She whose face turns all living things to stone.

I consider myself truly fortunate to have been given an intimation of  how I will finally bow out of this dimension. The momentarily shocking amounts of blood on the shower cubicle floor on Thursday morning were a warning. Not being able to move out of the house, and losing life's fluid at a high rate, I had some time to adjust my conceptions and misconceptions of the actual manner of my death.

I feel nothing akin to fear - I've visited the liminal spaces of the Otherworld enough times now - and I have, although it's a corny old line, absolutely no regrets. I would do it all over just as I planned it before I came into this world some 53 years ago. Yes, I would - although it will hardly be necessary now, having gained and lost what I came here to gain and lose this time around.

As the Sun left my death house I stood upon the banks of the river and looked down its flow, anticipating my own addition to that smooth swiftly-running stream. Then I put my feet on the soil of this Earth again, more firmly, with the Gorgon's head now safely carried in a wallet across my shoulder. Pegasus will arise, among other Beings, from this interaction.

I am not a Hero, and the Medusa is not our enemy, but there is this thing which must be done by each of us, sooner or later.

Pic:Antonio Canova(1757 - 1822), Perseus with the Head of Medusa in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment