Monday 17 October 2011

Under A Liminal Moon


All day the sky, when it was not heavily veiled, has been glaucous.

This morning I stood under a nearly-last-quarter moon which resembled nothing so much as this pale moon right here on the background to the blog. There were no wild geese flying under it, however.
Yes – tomorrow we are expecting some rain. And a great big blessing that will be, should it come to pass – for I'm weary of trying to round up the dust of ages every two hours or so from where it has settled on my living room floor.
This morning, just before I found myself standing facing North (the direction of Fire for us Southerners) looking at the moon, I had awoken from a dream of great clarity. It didn't seem to portend much or mean anything in particular; but it was a dream so lucid that for quite a while I was not sure whether I had just woken up or just fallen asleep.

I do not practice the art of lucid dreaming, having far too much dream content to keep tabs on as it is, without willing myself to enter into a control relationship with the damned things. But I found myself still wondering: am I awake now or am I dreaming?
And it has stayed with me all day, this question. Dreaming now, or awake?

Not that I went through the day muddled and confused – although I'm willing to bet that I sound like a terminal case to anyone reading this – rather, I traversed the 'day' in a state of mild euphoria, as if it didn't truly matter which was the Waking and which the Dreaming. I think I've come closer today to a soul level understanding of the proposition that this is all just Lila.

Now, swiftly, ask yourself the question: Dreaming or Waking – which one?

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading "the snow goose" to the little one, your picture echoes the feeling well :)

    The phrase "life down here is just a strange illusion" from iron maiden's "revelation" has been playing through my head lately. As i notice myself noticing something, or pausing, uncertainly ...

    you awake from dreams, sometimes it feels like we'll never actually wake up, and be masters of our experience here. Like in dreams, you're only an observer ...

    peace and love T

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Snow Goose made me cry when I was little.

    Damn you. Now I can't get Iron Maiden out of my brain.

    Will have to go back to watching the thinker.

    Love,
    T in J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, from "Hallowed be thy name" ... not "Revelation" ...

    I don't know why i took it for her, she doesn't understand it much so far, took it more for me ;-)

    peace and love

    ReplyDelete