Thursday 6 January 2011

Inequality


The partial solar eclipse on Monday has been a shower of blessings. With a Natal Saturn firmly ensconced in Capricorn - which is my third house - I am unusually prey to limiting fears in the realm of external relationships. Getting along with myself - fine. After, that is, many years and a Shamanic Dismemberment. Getting along with, effectively communicating with, the rest of humanity - well, it takes a bit more work.

So this eclipse, occurring as it did at 14 degrees Capricorn, in effect acted as a release valve on many external bonds and limits. The governors are off, or starting to be, and I can feel a marvelous tide of release crossing the face I show to the world. Physical ailments, too, have started to heal.It's not a fast process - when was anything Saturnian speedy?- but the gravitas is quite large.

So, I was leaning over the smokers' balcony, puffing on a new nanotek cigarette (lovely - not only do they leave less mess, I'm smoking fewer of them, which was a bit unexpected), watching the building staff washing the 2-story-high plate windows using three mop-handles stuck together from a rickety perch on a tall ladder, and wondering why the hel I get paid so much more than they do.

Basically, I sit in front of a computer all day, knitting my right and left hemispheres together to turn out problem-solving computer code, all the while listening to Christopher Bingham and Sue Tinney or Pandemonaeon on my iPod, with coffee, tea and more rusks than I can throw at a taxi driver close at hand. For this I get reimbursed quite adequately. But those guys on the swaying ladder, washing cliff-sized windows with a home-made squeezy mop: how much do they take home to their families?
This is hardly a revolutionary thought, but I reckon they exchange far more energy than do I for their daily bread. And so do security guards, miners, and road sweepers.

Do you think we've got our economy arse-about-face?

2 comments:

  1. Yes. Down here we've got home care workers trying to nurse the dying in shacks without running water or electricity. The Aids death rates soar in the summer. And home carers walk hours through bushveld in the heat and get paid a pittance.

    ReplyDelete