Monday 29 March 2010

Act of Remembrance


I know that small, symbolic actions are not going to save us. I am so very aware that taking shorter showers is going to do little if anything to mitigate the destruction of the biosphere of this planet - in fact, it may be adding to the catastrophe, as people find their consciences soothed by taking these small and inconsequential actions, and thus go no further in their activism.

However, this morning I find myself wearing a black armband in remembrance of all those humans killed in Witch hunts on the African continent. It's quite a host of the Dead I carry in my mind; the victims of humanity's fear and loathing of my spiritual path.

Let me be clear - I am Shaman, yes, but I am also a Witch, and have been for decades in this life.

Most of those killed by society's infantile fear of the dark were not practising any form of Witch Craft. It's a pattern familiar to those in Europe of centuries past - the old, the infirm, the children, the women. Taken as scapegoats.

Therefore, this morning and for 30 days following, I will be wearing my black armband in solidarity and honour. What appeared at first to be an adolescent attention seeking gesture I find, upon reflection, to be nothing of the sort - it is a fully adult, mature and compassionate action which reminds me, reminds others, re-members the very soul of our various Pagan paths. And that is in no way a bad thing.

5 comments:

  1. "society's infantile fear of the dark"
    That certainly covers it well.
    I'm reflecting on how different euro and arican cultures are, yet witch hunts, and the accompanying attitudes are almost identical.
    I do notice in both that the one thing the victims usually have in common is indepedance (from the tribe).

    peace and love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled apon your blog at The Aquarius Papers. I am a promoter of The dark Goddess Lilith and resonate strongly with the sentiments in this post. Great Blog. I shall add it to my Blogroll as its a great resource.

    I am at Lilith Pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so with you on this Terri --

    ReplyDelete
  4. amen my sister witch

    xoxo
    cyn

    Adding that 30 day thingie to my FB etc...

    ReplyDelete