Tuesday 30 September 2008

Give Those Folks A Bone


I've been tagged by Anne,as a Pagan appearing in her sidebar, to express my opinion of the McCain-Palin ticket running for office in her country.

You know, here in South Africa we know all about tokenism.

Before the 1994 elections, we had token Blacks, Coloureds and Indians in our parliamentary system. Now we have token Whites.

In sport, we have a raging structure of tokenism, and in business, the much-vaunted BEE legislation has devolved, in many instances, into the same. A White entrepreneur will invite, for example, a Black dude to become his partner and shareholder in order to satisfy the country's requirements in this regard, and then let him loll around picking his nose.

Tokenism seeks to appease a section of the populace perceived to be important to the industry's(sport, government or business) survival and thrival. It's a sop thrown, much in the way a used bone used to be thrown to dogs, to people who quite often haven't the consciousness to understand that they're being pacified.

I guess the Republican Party in America believes many of its voters are just such dull-witted nincompoops, for they have thrown just such a sop to the folks they hope will vote for it. Token woman, token fundie. There you are, now shut the fuck up and vote for us.

For Sarah Palin, both victim and aggressor in the Patriarchy, it doesn't seem to make a difference that she's seen as this commodity. She gets the power she wants, the Party gets the votes it wants. Simple. And about as appetising as Moose turds.

Where I think Americans should be very, very afraid is in the fact of the advanced age of her principle,as horrible an old man as I've ever seen, with the morals of a mink. If he should die (and if the American voters actually elect this fine specimen), Palin gets to be President. And then, friends American, you're going to be in deep dwang with a committed Witch Hunter in the Head Office.
That's my take on it, anyway.

I now tag every Pagan blogger in my sidebar to also give their opinions, cynical, sacred or otherwise, on this hilarious ticket.

Even if you're not an actual Pagan, you can still consider yourself tagged.

Pic found on this bookcover

9 comments:

  1. Cynthia McKinney ... the only outsider running, and frankly she earned my respect a long time ago.

    As for the others, no better than empty headed film stars. Probably a LOT more dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How observant! Yes, our Republican Party counts heavily on brainwashed, mostly "religious" middle and lower class Americans of questionable intelligence to further it's agenda, which is to keep old, rich, white, and Protestant (Catholics are tolerated due to their stance against abortion) in power. The status quo means EVERYTHING to these people, and they know that all they have to do is shout 'NASCAR! FAMILY VALUES! ENEMIES AT THE GATES! WE ARE THE PATRIOTS!" and those without any critical thinking skills to speak of will stand and salute, then bend over and take it in the rear. Which is kinda ironic, when you consider the right wing homophobia over here.............

    By the way, I wanted to apologize for not having had you in MY blogroll. It just now occured to me and I was somewhat horrified, but that injustice has been corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abraxas,
    Who is Cynthia Mckinney?
    OK, I go look her up this morning.

    Michael,
    Don't be horrified and don't apologise - my blogroll suffers from creep from time to time, and there are even now those folks I read regularly I haven't remembered to put into the sidebar. It's pne of those details I often forget, as well.

    Love,
    Terri in Joburg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her blog:
    http://www.allthingscynthiamckinney.com/

    The Green Party: http://mckinney2008.com/PRESIDENT/

    And of course Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_McKinney

    She understands the money, and how it's being taken from the american people. VERY smart lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's just a bunch of political monkeys fucking around hon. I'm not voting for them but it won't upset me a lot if they win the election.

    The sooner this country topples the sooner it can be put back together, it's not going to get any better until after it does.

    I know, it hurts the rest of the world, but that's just too bad, deal with it. I'm going to have to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah Palin is like Athena: even if female, she is the protectress of the patriachal order.

    I hope Athena not to get angry for such an injurious comparison...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Billy,
    I agree there's a world of hurt still coming.And yes, I'm ready for it.
    Moon bat,
    I'm qith you on Athena - as she appears now, she's a pure patriarchal construct. Phooey.

    Love,
    Terri in Joburg

    ReplyDelete
  8. If ever I need a fresh perspective on the steaming pile of poo poo that is American politics, all I need to do is look for a blogger from another country. I come here every once in a while, and I must say, you never cease to fit the bill.

    Now, if only middle America would read this and get a clue ... if.

    D~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna, it's not going to happen.

    Terri, I just got back from the kinetic races and will start posting about it in the morning, you may find it interesting, or not.

    ReplyDelete