Friday 23 May 2008

That We Are


I dreamed last night of a house with plate glass walls in the front. It was my house, and contained two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The bedroom which was not the main one was obviously the room of a young man child.
The back garden lead, by way of two latched wicket gates, to a deep gully and the sea.The front garden was neat, with a gravelled driveway and succulent plants growing under trees.

A couple of days ago I was caught in a knee-jerk reaction when my colleagues, commenting on the xenophobic violence in this land, started every sentence with 'They..'. I was blind with rage. They.They They. Not me, never 'I'. Them -the Other, and therefore unable to impinge on my safe, cosy, walled-off, electronically fed life. Until, of course, they do.

We are God - in a usage of the word 'God' that a Child of the Book would never quite understand. No smiting, no rule-making, no commanding Presence and Safe Haven, we are nevertheless the totality of Memory, the totality of Being, and the totality of Potential. This is the God who I know I Am.

So, in the last few days I have been watching myself setting myself on fire, and have sat crying on my bed as I ransacked my own house for a few pitiful goods which I had managed to buy with my meagre wages.

I have also been presiding over that pot of hot stew I made to comfort myself in the refugee camps; have brought clothes and basic necessities from my big house in the suburb to the families displaced from their own; and I have tended the sick, put out the fire on the burning man, and helped a woman in labour to deliver her child.

For this is what God does - stands up and admits responsibility for all the evil, all the grace, all the devastation and all the beauty. All that is, that We Are.

And that's why it hurts so much - there is no escaping Yourself.
Any who are prepared to stand and drink of this cup of realisation is only a self-aware deity. And those who cannot, yet - well they too are a part of me, and will down this bitter draught at some stage of our existence.

11 comments:

  1. This was a very intense post. I can tell you're doing considerable inner inventory at this time.

    Can you tell us more about the refugee camps?

    D~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Donna,
    I've been off the net for a couple of days-sorry.

    There are now camps set up by almost every police station of any size in both Gauteng (where I live) and the Western Cape.
    The Methodists have opened their churches and a few town halls are being used, but it's not containing the numbers who are flowing in every day.We're short of everything, from nappies to toilet roll. The people have started leaving, some with the assistance of their governments.

    We've had a quieter time in Joburg this weekend, just one death -but the army has now been called in as support.
    The attacks also started up in Cape Town and KwaZuluNatal since I wrote this last post.
    There was an anti-xenophobia march in Joburg CBD yesterday.

    Today is Africa day, which makes most of us feel really, really embarrassed.

    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you. so very very much. My prayers are with you and the people of your land, and yes, we are all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm embarassed to say that I'm not up on the details ... these are refugees from other parts of Africa, right? Where there is civil war and famine and drought? Wow ... talk about pressure. What attacks are you talking about? Who is attacking?

    I hope you don't mind my curiosity.

    D~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not at all Donna - and Deborah and Sia, thank you both for your comments - I often forget that South Africa and its news is not centre stage for everyone!

    The refugees are from other parts of Africa, yes - mostly Zimbabweans, Mocambiqueans, Malawians, and some entrpreneurs from Nigeria.
    Never forgetting the citizens of the DRC ans Somalia, who have fled their own tragic homes.

    South Africans - a few of them , all from critically deprived backgrounds - have been enacting vicious viiolence upon these makwerekwere (foreigners), whom they blame for the high crime rate and the lack of jobs.
    In a techbical sense it's almlost understandable. There's a limited pool of resources available to our "own people" (and I'll chop the head off the next person who includes wives in that category, it makes me so angry), so they become angry with these perceived outside competitors for the said resources.

    So, basically, it's poor black South Africans beating up, setting fire to and slitting the throats of poor black people from other parts of Africa.
    (And a few Pakistanis, not surprisingly - they are sharp business folk who often trade in the poor areas.)
    There may well be attempted reprisals in the near future - I predict around the time of the New Moon, as the initial cases toook place around the Full. I can't see many of these victims lying down for this -especially some of the Zimbabweans.
    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever feel out numbered? I do all the time.

    It's not bad here, yet, but I think it is coming. I really need to be putting in a garden.

    Glad I don't live where you do, I only expect it to get worse. And keep getting worse for the next, oh, say, ten years. All I can do is take a stab at the time frame.

    I'll leave the predictions up to the morons that think they know the time span of when and how things will happen, I know that its all chaos though.

    Good luck hon, be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also not that well informed with the news and what is happening there. Our news media doesn't seem to care much about Africa.

    That and I just don't have the time to follow EVERY THING.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back from your beach break Billy.

    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the explanation ... be safe!

    D~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read your blogs and it is very nice to read and also it is very interesting.

    Also I am having a online friends community website from India and Chennai and getting more new friedns from worldwide. Also You can create a free blogs and free forum discussions and free album page for every individuals. Just visit me and comment to us.

    http://www.chokut.com

    ReplyDelete