Tuesday 27 November 2007

Beyond a Shadow


It's looking increasingly likely that we will shortly have, for a President in this country as unevolved, backward-thinking, corrupt a patriarchist as you could ever hope to avoid.
This is gloomy news indeed for this little, struggling democracy-but in all honesty I can't say that I would ever vote for an Aids-denying, autocratic Swell Old Boy , either.
No, when it comes to staying away from politics the party I firmly stick with staying away from would be the DA, bless their greedy little hearts.

It's something I commented on over at Billy's Better Blog earlier today -humanity is addicted, not just to oil, but to power over our fellows- the more power over the more fellows the better- and,like all addicts, when it comes to securing our supply, we become tremendously unreasonable. It's something I remember from my own addictions - may I never forget it- that there will come a time, or times, when the procurement of the next fix overrides everything else- caring for ourselves or our families takes a distinct back seat to the need to get the stuff which enables us to go on craving. It's crazy,yes, but then we are indisputably insane as a species.
It may be only as more of us start to grow up into the realisation that we are deeply responsible, each of us, for our creations, that we may begin to stand outside of ourselves-outside of our wants and perceived needs, outside of our drives to power over and oblivion from,that we can begin to be what we shaped ourselves to be originally- the universe in mortal consciousness, feeling our connection to each other and to all with every fibre of our beings, waking and sleeping in the surety that whatever befalls our brother befalls ourselves, and knowing beyond a shadow of doubt that we all belong here.

3 comments:

  1. I know little about politics in your country. But I do know that the political system in my country is insane.

    "indisputably insane as a species."

    No kidding !!!

    I'm reluctant to give up my rig. How would I get my camp trailer to the beaches, parks and campgrounds?

    I am careful in how I use it though, and use a lot less fuel than a lot of people. And walk and bike a lot.

    Just part of a news story I just spotted.

    "BRASILIA (Reuters) - Iceland has overtaken Norway as the world's most desirable country to live in, according to an annual U.N. table published on Tuesday that again puts AIDS-afflicted sub-Saharan African states at the bottom."

    In spite of all the worry, have a great day hon. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not about your rig Billy - which I have no doubt uses less petrol than even I use, taken over a month or a year -it's more about continuing to promote big fuel-guzzlers to the man in the street in the name of one last swing at profit. Aaargh.A cellphone company here is giving away 6 Hummers to new clients. I could kill the buggers.

    Yes, South Africa has the highest percapita rate of infection with HIV/AIDS, partly because of our President's questioning of the biological mechanics of the thing.
    And this man is vastly intelectually superior to that chump, Jacob Zuma.

    Yup- I always have a good day, in spite of it all, thanks Billy!
    Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a lot of readers, or comments. But I do seem to have more than you.

    That's too bad considering that we are each other, a part of the almost 7 billion parts of us.

    And that so many of those parts of us are our alter ego.

    Terri, we are so screwed, and it seems that there is nothing we can do about it.

    That bothers me, a lot.

    ReplyDelete