Friday 28 November 2008

The Civilised Will Smile...


I'm working on some of the disturbing material contained in Jensen's Endgame this weekend, for one of the assignments I've elected to do.


In between shopping for monthly supplies, I will ironically be rolling such thoughts around my pea brain as:


"In the last 24 hours, over 200,000 acres of rainforest were destroyed. Thirteen million tons of toxic chemicals were released. Forty-five thousand people died of starvation, thirty-eight thousand of them children. More than one hundred plant or animal species went extinct because of civilised humans.

All of this in one day"



"You really wanna see some hatred? You wanna see some violence? Thwart the civilised. Shut them down. Stop them from destroying the planet.

The civilised will smile as they tear you limb from limb"

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very interesting book. I'll look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's that last line .... they will too.

    Wasn't it Einstein who said we're just 48 hours away from cavemen?

    Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all borrowed time. Enjoy each and every breath while you can, for something extinctive has our name on it, and deservedly so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,
    It's one of those life-changing books.
    I'm not kidding when I say that Derrick Jensen radicalised me. Or maybe, I radicalised myself,by being ready to imbibe his message.

    'Braxie,
    Yes. I'm not sure whether it was Einstein or if it's just one of those bon mots that keep getting ascribed to the poor man. But I seem to remember something along the lines of "if the bees go, we're 48 hours away from extinction ourselves." The Sisters haven't deserted us, quite, but that may be coming.

    THE Micheal,

    I do. Enjoy every breath. That's something many people don't get about radical environmentalists - we actually love life, very, very much.

    Love,
    Terri in Joburg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down.…. Can’t you fucking monkeys shop peacefully for shit you don’t need in the first place? What a bunch of fucking animals.

    ReplyDelete